Chip Salzenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 12:14:24PM -0800, Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon wrote:
> > I'm not sure about the last two (in a lot of ways, they're more like
> > := than = ),
>
> I don't see that.

Well, for one thing, my way would mean that `set` is always `:=`.
Basically, though, my way would mean that copying the register's exact
contents would always be done with `:=`, and more complicated
assignments with potentially complex semantics would always be `=`.

On the other hand, I can see why you would consider alias/not-alias to
be a more important consideration.

> > I suppose that copying looks like:
> >     S0 := copy S1
>
> Yes, modulo the choice of the word "copy".  I might call it "clone",
> which emphasizes that the return value has its own identity.

`clone` does sound better.

--
Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Perl and Parrot hacker