On Tue Apr 10 01:45:31 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Configure should act as though writing --foo=no is false instead of
> true.  Tonight I tried using --execcapable=no to get around a compile
> failure, but then realized that it would probably treat "no" as a true
> value.

I discussed this ticket with other participants in the recent hackathon in
Toronto.  I am
inclined to recommend that we not make any changes in Configure.pl's behavior
as implied
by the ticket, for a number of reasons:

1.  Configure.pl is a Perl script.  The truth value of the string 'no' in Perl
is true.  Cet. par., in
Perl if you want to negate something you 'undef' it or you assign it a value of
0 (or the string
'0').  So the current behavior of the 'execcapable' option is consistent with
Perl's customary
behavior.

2.  In config/auto/jit.pm, $execcapable is set to 1 for Unix-ish operating
systems and
Windows and set to 0 for other OSes.  But if you want to set a different
behavior, it appears
to me that you can simply pass a value of 1 or 0 to the execcapable option.

3.  If we really thought we'd make extensive use of something equivalent to '--
execcapable=no', we could create a '--noexeccapable' option analogous to '--
nomanicheck' (see lib/Parrot/Configure/Options.pm).

4.  AFAICT from looking at Perl 5's Configure.sh, Perl 5 survives without a
'no' value for any
of its configuration options.

In short, YAGNI.  What do others think?

kid51