Allison Randal wrote:

Simplification is a good idea. I suspect most people would rather type some short unique value for the option than the text of the description anyway.

In the reconfigure/ branch, I have figured out how to do this with the --fatal-step option (https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=45525). I will soon be proposing a patch to trunk for --fatal-step, and it would be great if --verbose-step and --fatal-step could work in the same manner.

Agreed on wanting consistency here.

I should note that currently you can also specify --verbose-step=53 and have step # 53, and only #53, execute verbosely. How that would be affected I haven't yet thought through?

Given a choice between the two, I'd rather see the step number in the non-verbose output:

than see the step name:

 inter::progs:  Loading platform and local hints files...........done.

So, how about we make both --fatal-step and --verbose-step accept either a step number or step name.

Didn't I hear someone recently remark, "Simplification is a good idea"?  ;-)

This is doable, but it will take me at least 9 separate test files to thoroughly test it.