On Mi. 05. Jul. 2006, 12:17:12, bernhard wrote:

> > Contrive things so that no code whatsover must be maintained outside
> > of the language specific directory. This includes:

When adding Eclectus I had to edit following files:
- config/gen/makefiles/languages.in
- config/gen/languages.pm
- languages/LANGUAGES_STATUS.pod

Adding info to LANGUAGES_STATUS.pod is reasonable.

config/gen/languages.pm handles the configuration of languages.
Primarily configuration is the generation of the file LANGUAGE/Makefile.
I propose that languages should follow the 'dotnet' way, that does
configuration with:

   cd LANGUAGE; perl Configure.pl.

Thus gen::languages could simply loop through the the subdirs of the
'languages' directory.

The language specific targets of 'languages/Makefile' could also be
generated from a loop over the subdirs of 'languages'.

The root Makefile also has a list of generated Makefiles of the
languages. This list could be done away with, with cleaning up is done
with 'make languages-realclean'.

Any comments ?

--
/* [EMAIL PROTECTED] */