# New Ticket Created by  Patrick R. Michaud
# Please include the string:  [perl #47886]

Earlier today on irc #parrot, Coke, allison, barney, and I
were discussing ways to speed up testing for developers --
especially things like the codingstd tests that are currently
run with every 'make test'.

After much discussion, we decided we'd like to have a
"make quicktest" target that runs a subset of "core Parrot
tests" that verify that the functionality is intact.
Code developers could use this target to quickly verify
that the changes they're making to code aren't causing
functional features to fail.

The existing 'make test' target would remain like it is
now, running a fuller suite of tests that verify that
coding standards are met, file properties are correct,
examples are still running, etc.

Thus, someone making iterative core changes for Parrot
can use "make quicktest" to make sure functional features
are still correct, and then use "make test" to get the
standard set of tests prior to a commit.

We discussed the possibility of the reverse -- i.e.,
have "make test" be the smaller set of tests and use
a different target for testing prior to a commit,
but we decided that it makes more sense for "make test"
to be the standard suite and "make quicktest" to be
the "just make sure everything works".  T.  Improvements
like this would also be very welcome -- but there still
seems to be value in having a 'make quicktest' target
available.

My suggestion would be that 'make quicktest' would
run the core tests (e.g., op, pmc, oo), the compilers/
tests (imcc, pge, tge), and library/ tests.  This means
that quicktest would avoid the configure, postconfigure,
examples, tools, perl, doc, distro, and codingstd tests
that are part of 'make test'.

Thanks!

Pm