James Keenan via RT schrieb:
On Fri Jul 13 09:58:33 2007, bernhard wrote:
There are several config probes that are only used for language implementations.
Examples are config/auto/m4.pm and config/auto/python.pm.

Please find attached two files.  The first greps the repository for
mentions of 'm4'.  The second is a patch which eliminates
config/auto/m4.pm and the associated test file and updates the MANIFEST.

Configure.pl, make and make test all perform without error after this
config step is eliminated.  When I switch into languages/m4, then call
'make' and 'make test', I get the same test failures in
t/regex/002_tokens.t either way.  So my belief is that removing this
step causes no harm to the m4 language implementation itself.

I will apply this patch to trunk in about 2 days if there is no objection.

Thank you very much.

kid51

AFAIK 'languages/m4/config/makefiles/root.in' is the only place where the config entry 'has_gnu_m4' is used. It is meant as a doublecheck of the 'm4' tests. If 'GNU m4' is available then the m4 tests should be run with 'GNU m4' as well. This should make sure that the Parrot implementation behaves the same way as the reference implementation.

So 'has_gnu_m4' is not essential to the implementation of 'Parrot m4'. In r28633 I removed the use of 'has_gnu_m4' and the config step auto::m4.pm can now be removed.

But the real scope of ticket RT#43857 is something different. Language implementations may need config probes that are only relevant for that particular language. Therefore there should be some kind of infrastructure set up, so that those probes can be placed within the language dir. Taking 'Plumhead' as an example, I would have liked to set up probes checking for 'phc', 'antlr' and 'xsltproc'. I didn't do so because I didn't want to clutter the Parrot config.

Regards,
   Bernhard