On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Ovid
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It would help if I sent this to the correct mailing list.  Oops.
>
> Cheers,
> Ovid
>
> --- On Mon, 20/10/08, Ovid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I've been doing some work integrating Perl 6 into vim
>> and now I'm trying to figure out how to run individual
>> Perl 6 tests.  It appears that the incantation is along the
>> lines of:
>>
>>   perl t/harness --verbosity 1 t/01-sanity/02-counter.t
>>
>> However, in digging further, I found this:
>>
>>   perl t/harness --verbosity 1 t/02-test-pm/1-basic.t
>>
>> That starts off with "Statement not terminated
>> properly at line 87, near "(\"Hello
>> Wo"" and goes downhill from there.
>>
>> In fact, in reading through the Makefile, I don't see
>> that this gets run unless you do 'make testtest'
>> (added by particle back in Dec 2007).  This doesn't
>> appear to be documented.  Is it supposed to be run?  Should
>> those Perl 6 tests be valid?

testtest and 02-test-pm/ should either be ripped out or heavily modified.
it was intended to be tests required to pass in order to run pugs' Test.pm.
rakudo never did use pugs' Test.pm, and no longer attempts to.
these tests are failing, and not run by default.
i'd like to see requirements for rakudo's Test.pm tested instead.

>> Also, the way that t/00-parrot/06-op-inplace.t is written
>> forces the test numbers to be out of sequence.  This causes
>> "make test" to fail, even though it's merely a
>> parse error.  The Test.pm module appears to work (I've
>> only checked it superficially), so why not use that to make
>> some of these tests a bit easier to write?  Are we trying to
>> avoid loading modules while testing core features?

yes, 00-parrot tests are prerequisites to running Test.pm.
they can't use the module to perform their tests.
it does indeed look like the test numbers are out of order.
...time passes...
it seems infix:<**=> is broken. the fix isn't obvious to me.
perplexing... doubly so as t/spec/S03-operators/assign.t passes these.
~jerry

~jerry