Christoph Otto wrote:

The PMC UnionVal deprecation can't be completed until Parrot has improved ATTR
reuse between extending PMCs.  I'm rewriting code to minimize dependence on
the PMC_x_val macros, but I can't eliminate them completely without better
inheritance support. I'd like to implement whatever the long-term solution is, which seems to mean multiple inheritance regarding ATTRs.

I've been puzzling over how to implement this in a way that would work similarly to the current PMC_x_val macros. The problem with allowing multiple inheritance is that we can't simply copy ATTRs from parents into the same slot in their children when multiple parents have an ATTR in the same slot.

This doesn't make sense. The PMC_x_val macros accessed the union value of the PMC. Any PMC that used them had a fixed set of attributes, either:

 - a buffer
 - two pointers
 - two integers
 - a float, or
 - a string

Because it was a union value, the PMC could use one and only one of the alternatives, and the parent and child had to use the same alternative. So, when you're translating an old-style PMC to a new-style PMC, you'll define one of:

 - a buffer
      ATTR void *     _bufstart;
      ATTR size_t     _buflen;

 - two pointers
      ATTR DPOINTER * _struct_val;
      ATTR PMC *      _pmc_val;

 - two integers
      ATTR INTVAL _int_val;
      ATTR INTVAL _int_val2;

 - a float
      ATTR FLOATVAL _num_val;

 - a string
    ATTR STRING * _string_val;

And hopefully give it a more meaningful name than the original.

Parent and child had to have the same struct in the original (because every PMC defined the same union val struct), and so still have to have the same struct in the new version. It is progress: at least the struct members will have more meaningful names, and it will become possible to subclass these older PMCs from within PIR. More progress will come later with enhancements to inheritance, but that's no reason to hold up the deprecation of the union struct.

The best I've been able to come up with is to use yet another Hash to store the ATTRs, turning the GETATTR/SETATTR macros into something like the following (modulo supporting code):
#define GETATTR_PMCType_foo(interp, pmc, x) {
  x = (AttrTypeGoesHere)parrot_hash_get(interp, pmc->attr_hash,
       key_new_cstring(interp, "PMCType_foo"));
}

This would allow the accessor macros to work on PMCs similarly to how PMC_x_val is used now, i.e. they'll DTRT as long as the PMC is in the right inheritance tree.

This is overkill. Accessor macros already work on PMCs similarly to how PMC_x_val is used.

Allison