"David L. Nicol" wrote:

> What I was suggesting was, if you want to overload the autoloading
> of something, it could be done with "catch" instead of rewriting
> the ::OVERLOAD procedure, for that  module.
>
> "method not loaded" becomes an exception which is thrown, rather
> than "AUTOLOADING" being its completely separate deal.  OO allows
> the combining og procedures that have things in common.  AUTOLOAD
> of a METHOD-NOT-FOUND is an excellent example of a genuine case
> of an exception (no method!) and a handler (autoload mechanism.)
>
> It makes these file-not-found things look like contrived crap they are.

But none of the currently proposed exception handling/reporting mechanisms
support any sort of "resume" or "retry" functionality... they just
extricate you from the current code path, and take you to a different place
in some equal or higher code path.  Now it would be possible to manually
code the retry in some circumstances, for some errors.  However due to the
potential for side effects in the invoking expression, it may not be
possible to do that in general, without language support for "resume" or
"retry" functionality.

--
Glenn
=====