Nathan Wiger wrote:

> >     use namespace 'Big::Long::Prefix';
> >     my ::Class $object = ::Class->new;
>
> Assuming repairing :: precedence is a reality I don't think this
> proposal buys us anything.

<backtracking>...That being said, I'm not necessarily against it. I'm
just against bloat. I hadn't paid too much attention to the actual patch
the first time reading it through, but it looks like a simple thing to
add. And the one nice thing it does add is that these:

  $::stuff
  $main::stuff

don't always mean the same thing, which at least gives some real reason
for having the first version around. If this change is made, though,
then I think it should work the same way in packages:

   package Foo;
   $::bar = "stuff";      # $Foo::bar = "stuff"

For consistency. That way the rule is:

   "If no prefix is found to ::, then the current package namespace is
    used. You can change the current namespace either via 'package' (if
    you want to encapsulate a new package), or 'use namespace' (if you
    simply want a shortcut way of referring to variables)".

This might have been discussed, but I didn't see it in the threads (I
could have missed it, though).

For anyone looking for a direct link to the start of the patch thread: