On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 03:42:01PM -0400, Eric Roode wrote:
> Richard Proctor wrote:
> >
> >I think what is needed is something along the line of :
> >
> >       $re = qz{ '(' \$re ')'
> >                | \$re \$re
> >                | [^()]+
> >               };
> >
> >Where qz is some hypothetical new quoting syntax
>
> Well, we currently have qr{}, and ??{} does something like your \$re.
>
> Warning: radical ideas ahead.
>
> What would be useful, would be to leave REs the hell alone; they're
> great as-is, and are only getting hairier and hairier. What would be
> useful, would be to create a new non-regular pattern-matching/parsing
> "language" within Perl, that combines the best of Perl REs, lex,
> SNOBOL, Icon, state machines, and what have you.

Agreed.  "Yet another quoting construct", "yet another \construct",
"yet another (? construct".  Argh, please, no.  Make all the above and
all we've learned from Parse::RecDescent et alia to collide at light
speed and see what new cool particles will spring forth.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen