Damian Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>    > > Why would anyone want to select a different method based upon the
>    > > arguments.
>    >
>    > Have you seen Class::Multimethods? This kind of despatch can be very
>    > useful. Of course, the existence of Class::Multimethods proves that it
>    > can be done already so there may be no need to put it in the core.
>
> There's a definite need to put it in the core. Class::Multimethods is too
> slow. I'll be proposing this form of multiple dispatch and overloading in a
> forthcoming RFC.

Oh, I don't doubt it. My point was that if it *doesn't* get in then it
won't be the end of the world (and hopefully there will be
improvements in basic dispatch speed that will mean that the multiple
hit on the dispatch system entailed by Class::Multimethods won't be
quite so gruesome).

I'm in the camp that would rather see it in core though.

--
Piers