John> Imho, this is A Bad Practice.  Making it impossible would therefore
John> be Good, existing-script-breakage not withstanding.

So you'll break $ARGV and @ARGV?  Is that really OK?

And will you extend this to ensuring that scalars, arrays, hashes,
subroutines, filehandles, formats, directory handles, and labels all
have distinct names?

I don't see a teaching advantage in saying "the three variable
namespaces are all one, but all the other namespaces are distinct".
When the rule gets longer, it gets harder to teach.  And if it's
harder to teach, it's probably harder to learn.

(Maybe we can just add something to that ever-increasing "-w" to do
this.  Make it a warning for beginners.)

I'll argue the opposite... "related things" can have similar names.  I
do it all the time.  I think it makes sense.  It also makes glob-ish
things similar, although I understand this is a separate issue up for
grabs.