> > New programmers should easily understand
>
> New? You're talking about "new" "easy" and "higher order functions"
> in the same sentence? ;)

This was intentional. (Err, yes, it was bait, basically...)

Higher order functions are harder for old [procedural] programmers than new
ones (IMHO). Have a look at 'Algorithms--A Functional Programming Approach'
for instance:
http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=0201596040

I think that when algorithms are described in this way, it's much more
intuitive than when they are described as the sequence of steps that a
turing machine has to take to implement them.

Hmmm... maybe we shouldn't go there. The phrase "hornet's nest" comes to
mind...