On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 01:29:47 GMT, Ed Mills wrote:

>I actually saw this in the newsgroups and thought it was a neat idea. What
>about
>
>   println $textvar;
>
>instead of
>
>   print "$textvar\n";

I can currently do that with $\, and $, for strings between items. For
example:

        ($\, $,) = ("\n", "\t");
        @ary = qw(one two three);
        print @ary;

The output will be the same as if you had done:

        print "one\ttwo\tthree\n";

Now, *I* expect that $, and $\ will closely be linked to each
filehandle, so that output STDERR will not have this feature enabled if
you specified it for printing to your file.

Besides, Perl has quite a few better alternatives than a bunch of
println statements, which is probably what you'd use it for. For
example: here-docs.

--
        Bart.