At 10:17 AM 8/8/00 -0600, Nathan Torkington wrote:
>These aren't normal subroutines because of the way they stack.  If I
>had my druthers, I'd make "sub" *forbidden* on such things.
>
>If you wanted to make that parsable, pretend that BEGIN and END are
>the names of functions with prototype (&) which register callbacks.

I am not going to write any more RFCs at midnight.  This looks much more
sensible in the light of morning.  I will reverse the sense of the RFC.

As to why there is still something in the symbol table after a BEGIN block
has executed, I'll leave that for another day...

$ perl -le 'BEGIN{print"Fie!"}print $::{BEGIN}'
Fie!
*main::BEGIN

--
Peter Scott