Nathan Wiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> > I, for one, will *never* use such a construct.  It provides the user
> > with the dangers of `no strict' combined with the illusion of safety
> > of `use strict'.
>
> Do you mean the whole thing, or just the `blocks' part?

Any feature which subverts "use strict" by attempting to declare my
variables for me.  In this case -- `blocks'.  But also `subs' scope,
since that makes anonymous subs useless.

> As I mentioned in response to Graham's email, the `blocks' scope might
> well be of little value, and might get the axe. Especially if you're
> used to using blocks for `now' scopes, then this proposal might actually
> be counterintuitive.

I rarely use a `now' scope, but I appreciate its being there.  What
I'm worried about is that auto-declaration is immensely confusing and
fragile.  Adding a variable outside a previously-written block or sub
can change it completely.  In effect, adding a new variable now means
that every part of the file should be considered unsafe, and must be
carefully checked.  Contrast this with "use strict", where I can limit
my search to variable declarations (and "use strict vars" for globals,
if in effect).

Variable declaration is good (except for some trivial programs)!

--
Ariel Scolnicov        |"GCAAGAATTGAACTGTAG"            | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Compugen Ltd.          |Tel: +972-2-6795059 (Jerusalem) \ We recycle all our Hz