At 10:28 AM 8/10/00 -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 05:21:44PM +0300, Jason Elbaum wrote:
> > As far as I know, there is a basic bit of regexp functionality which
> > Perl should support but doesn't.
> >
> > Perl regexps support the following features, though they're a bit
> > obscure to my tastes...
> >
> > (from perlre:)
> >     \l          lowercase next char (think vi)
> >     \u          uppercase next char (think vi)
> >     \L          lowercase till \E (think vi)
> >     \U          uppercase till \E (think vi)
> >     \E          end case modification (think vi)
> >
> > ...but Perl doesn't offer a regexp pattern to match all alphabetical
> > characters of a particular case. Something like:
> >
> >     \x          match lowercase alpha char
> >     \X          match uppercase alpha char
> >
> > Thus /\X\x*/ would match all capitalized words, while /\X+/ would match
> > acronyms, and /(\X\x+)+/ would match Java class names.
>
>Perl 5.6.0 has [[:lower:]] and [[:upper:]].

Yes, but this one is worth a digraph.  Question is, which one?  Currently
the free ones are:

\F  \h \H  \i \I  \j \J  \k \K  \m \M  \o \O  \q  \R  \T  \v \V  \y \Y

\v \V are being debated on p5p currently.

I suggest \i \I, mnemonic with ?:i and /i.  I know it's a strange
association once you think about it, but it made sense at first thought.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies