On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 02:52:32AM -0700, Nathan Wiger wrote:
> Mike-
>
> Jeremy's got a great explanation of this, which I'll paraphrase, but the
> discussion went through lots of iterations. Think of the ^ as a carat or

I only make this annoying and pedantic point because everyone I have
seen discussing this has made the same mistake so far: ^ is not a
gemological carat, nor a vegetable carrot, but a "caret".  This is a
Latin verb that means "it is lacking or missing", which, if you think
about it is yet another reason it makes a good symbol for a placeholder.

Peter