At 12:31 PM 8/15/00 -0400, Casey R. Tweten wrote:
>Frankly, they're both ugly.  I personally like the *idea*, I'm not
>advocating my solution.  It would be wonderful if we could assign values
>to Perl's special variables when we're doing a one line quick
>hack.

With a bit of luck, the special variables are going away.  $| will be
replaced by some line discipline method or whatever it's called.  Quite
what impact this has for one-liners has yet to be explored, but I think
it's going to require a lot more thought.

Can someone knowledgeable on this issue speak to it?

Will $| $/ $\ et al be retired, or be valid for some default filehandle?

Will there still be default filehandles?

Will there be a way of altering the line discipline characteristics or
whatever they're called globally?  If so, how?

Any plans as yet for changing the -0 and -l command line flags?
--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies