Chaim Frenkel writes:
> The other magic variables would simply end up as some funny 8-bit
> characters floating around. With one's handy (several thousand page)
> translation table one can then interpret the meaning.

That's insane.  We're trying to get rid of special variables named
after obscure control characters.

> At worst, we could run the script through (the horror) a
> unicode -> trigraph/quadgraph/multi-graph translator to be able to
> read it. And then put it back that way.

That's not making something easy, that's making it hard.

> Basically, we make them available for the fellows that need the
> symbols.

Perl source code can already be Unicode.  But the keywords and
variables must remain ASCII if those of us with only 7-bits are
to be able to use it.

Please give up the idea.

Nat