On 27 Aug 2000 19:23:51 -0000, Perl6 RFC Librarian wrote:

>It only removes whitespace,
>and it measures whitespace with tabs=8.

My editor is set to tabs=4. Perl's interpretation wouldn't agree with
the visual appearance in my editor. This doesn't sound like a neat
solution.

Why not disallow merging of tabs and spaces as being equivalent? If you
want to skip a leading tab, but a tab between '<<"' and the EOL marker.
If you want to skip spaces, put spaces in. If you want to skip tabs and
spaces, put that sequence in.

The only consequence would be that you'd have to be consistent in what
you put in front of the text lines (and in the whitespace prefix
definition).

--
        Bart.