"David L. Nicol" wrote:

>         my dog $spot;
>         dog spot;
>
> If we only allow this where enough info is available to allocate dog-sized
> pieces of memory directly, Perl can blaze through the code that deals with
> dogs.

I don't see what barewords gain us here. Who says that

   my dog $spot;

Already won't micromanage memory through implicit constructors? That's
certainly the current idea behind:

   my int $x = 5;    # $x = int->CREATE, $x->STORE(5)

This would call an implicit constructor on the 'int' class. The 'int'
subclass would optimize things so that $x would get all the
computational virtues and all the bondage and discipline of strong
typing.

More details on this can be found here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/perl6-language-objects%40perl.org/msg00137.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/perl6-language-objects%40perl.org/msg00105.html