Peter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Have you seen http://search.cpan.org/doc/GREGOR/psh-0.008/doc/psh.pod and
> the other tools it references?  I haven't used it/them myself - what you
> propose has never itched enough for me to scratch it with anything more
> than a one-liner - but it appears to have the kind of features you
> want.

psh doesn't quite do what I'd like.  In particular, it only handles
multi-line commands by looking for unbalanced constructs.  So "sub foo
{" (on one line) forces a continuation, but "2+" (on one line) is a
syntax error.

A new version of the RFC (which doesn't appear to have propogated yet)
says a few more words about psh.

>  Does what you want need to be in the core?

Of course not.  What's needed is a large enough hook into the Perl
parser.  In particular, something I can pass a string and know if it
has a chance of being completed into a syntactically legal construct
(this is a difference between "2+" and "))};;").

Access to the parser needs to be in the core...

--
Ariel Scolnicov        |"GCAAGAATTGAACTGTAG"            | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Compugen Ltd.          |Tel: +972-2-5713025 (Jerusalem) \ We recycle all our Hz