"Myers, Dirk" wrote:

> I still find this whole idea confusing, though.  Just out of curiosity,
> though, would:
>
>         #include a way for users to bail out gracefully
>
> be a syntax error?

It is clear to us that that is a comment and not a preprocessor directive.
The #include preprocessor directive is more than match /^#include/ it is
more like (/^#include (".+")\s*\Z/ or /^#include (<.+>)\s*\Z/). And anything
that would be a syntax error in C, a poorly formed preprocessor directive, is
a simple Perl comment.

> And how about:
>
>         int length = 256 ;
>
> and, if that's legal, what does:
>
>         print "I wonder what this is : " . length  ;
>
> do?

I imagine the first order of business for the C JIT team would be
some conversion operators.  Numeric types stringify into decimal representation,
no reason to throw that away.

> Dirk

thanks for your support

--
                          David Nicol 816.235.1187 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       perl -e'@w=<>;for(;;){sleep print[rand@w]}' /usr/dict/words