On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 07:18:56AM -0000, Perl6 RFC Librarian wrote:
> =item Comment out documentation
>
> Sometimes I want a chunk of documentation to stick around but not
> be visible to the casual user.  It may be tentative, half-baked, plain
> wrong, still in development, a comment about the docs.

    =for nobody

    Some POD

POD readers will currently ignore =for and =begin/=end blocks with a
name they don't recognize.

> =item Reorder the document
>
> Sometimes I want a chunk of documentation to hang out near a
> chunk of code, but the order of the code is not a good order for
> a man page.  All right, so maybe this is really 2 proposals.

This part... I regularly intersperse POD with code, and I've always
found that where I want the docs is also where I want the code, but YMMV.

So if one were to implement this, you could do:

    =for later

    blabitty blah

    ...later that same file...

    =print later

The only change to POD would be to define a =print tag which takes the
name of a =for/=being/=end block to output.  Multiple blocks with the
same name would be concatenated together and outputed as one chunk.

> =item Multiline comment for Perl
>
> I am not formally suggesting this as a multiline comment syntax.  I
> already like Perl's current "multiline comment syntax" because it is so
> easy to edit-macro-ize.  But I'd probably use it if it were there, cuz I
> am a bad, undisciplined programmer.

How is this different than the current?

    =for comment

    a block
    of comments

Personally, I've found M-x comment-region in emacs to be Good Enough
and never had an urgent need for a multiline comment (but I've heard
rumor that still people use lesser editors).  The # syntax is simple
and doesn't involve any of the nesting or accidentally run-on
ambiguities of multi-line comments.  Its also alot easier to parse.

PS  Keep in mind that =for can be replaced with =begin/=end in all cases.

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Just Another Stupid Consultant                      Perl6 Kwalitee Ashuranse