use diagnostics;
   my $i=1;
   print 'hi' if ($i=1;

running this with perl -wc (v 5.004, unix), I get

perl -wc x.pl
   syntax error at x.pl line 3, near "1;"
   x.pl had compilation errors (#1)

      (F) The final summary message when a perl -c fails.

   Uncaught exception from user code:
           x.pl had compilation errors.

If I'm missing a "}" the compiler tells me its missing. That's also a syntax
error, but it reports the actual missing "}". Why not do the same for ")"?
In this simple case its easy to spot, but with thousands of possible "syntax
errors" its not always this easy. I've learned from experience that usually
this message implies a missing ")", at least for me, but why not explicitly
state it?

The compiler should provide as much error detail as possible, particularly
if using -w and "use diagnostics".

-Ed