On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 03:54:27AM -0000, Perl6 RFC Librarian wrote:
> =head1 IMPLEMENTATION
>
> Dunno. With my vague understanding of the existing code and hash
> tables in general:

I believe the main reason why hash keys can't be references is because
they're not really scalars.  Internally they're just normal char
strings IIRC, not SVs.  I'm sure at one point there were efficiency
and memory arguments for this, but I don't know if they still hold.

The idea of promoting hash keys to true scalars has been knocked out
before.  I'm sure you can dig up some p5p threads on the subject.

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Just Another Stupid Consultant                      Perl6 Kwalitee Ashuranse