Hugo wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "David L. Nicol" writes:
> :I think I did -- I guess v2 didn't make it in; I sent it again; what
> :were your and mjd's comments again?
>
> Here are the messages:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/perl6-language-regex%40perl.org/msg00306.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/perl6-language-regex%40perl.org/msg00294.html
>
> However if you didn't see them it is too late now, since I see that
> your v2 freezes the RFC. I think it is a shame there was not more
> discussion of this - I'm sure the functionality would be useful, but
> I'm not at all convinced about the syntax.
>
> Hugo

Thanks.  Yes, I had seen them, and they are both valid criticisms.  There
are more examples in v2.

The syntax matches exactly the syntax used for specifying segments of number line
in algebra classes.

If this goes into the language, people who are writing nonlinear number systems
would have to decide whether to support it or not and if so how; that goes w/o saying

the inspiration for it, along with its companion piece on an implied grep in certain
hash accesses, is a way to ease slicing of "traditional" multidimensional arrays.

        %Center_of_4x4x4_cube = %FourCube{/[2,3] [2,3] [2,3]/} ;

That's an old-fasioned fake multidimensional array, of course, not one of these
new creatures.

--
                          David Nicol 816.235.1187 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
               "The most powerful force in the universe is gossip"