> File tests (-r/-w/-x/...) made sense when Perl's shellness was an
> attribute.  Most new Perl programmers are not coming from a shell
> programming background, and the -X syntax is opaque and bizarre.
> It should be removed.

> Perl programmers happy with the -X syntax will need to get used to the
> lengthier replacement.

Blech. I certainly think that long functions are fine and dandy, but I'd
loathe the day that I'd have to give up my -X stuff. I *love* it. I'm a
shell-head! Many Perlers are. I would not classify giving this up as an
improvement.

Alternative functions are fine, but I think removing -X would definitely
fit into the realm of causing existing Perl hackers to run away
screaming.

-Nate