Tom Christiansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >I strongly agree with the opinion that we should try and get away from
> >special variables and switches in favor of functions and pragmas.
> >Witness 'use base' instead of '@ISA', 'use warnings', and so on.
>
> Huh?  Why???  Perl's use of @ISA is beautiful.  It's an example
> of code reuse, because we don't need no stinking syntax!

Indeed. Clear, simple, works. And if you're that way inclined lets you
do all sorts of weird shit. I say keep it.

> use base is, or can be, pretty silly -- think pseudohashes, just for
> one.

C<use base> has the potential to be very nice indeed. Preferably after
pseudo hashes have been excised from the language. It happens at
compile time. You can enforce various levels of stricture through it,
which can potentially make it easier for the compiler to optimize
stuff. It's vaguely necessary if you're going to have interfaces and
all that (at least, the compile time behaviour is). I say keep it.

Neither of these methods is the One True Way. They are both very
useful in their place. Deciding where those places are is left as an
exercise for the interested programmer.

--
piers