At 05:17 PM 9/30/00 -0700, Damien Neil wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 07:24:38PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > >   $foo = """Things like ', ", and \ have no special meaning in here.""";
> >
> > Argh! *NO*! That way lies madness, or at least DCL's quoting mania. My
> > record, in a command procedure that wrote other command procedures that
> > submitted command procedures to batch, was 13 quotes in a row. Let's *not*
> > go there, thanks.
>
>Python doesn't allow that degree of quoting.  You can just use triple
>quotes as an alternative to single quotes.

Ah. I was thinking you were proposing that to embed a double-quote in a
string you just doubled it up. Two double quotes in a row meant you used
four, and so on. For strings that get repeatedly reinterpreted it gets real
quoty real quick.

It seems rather more visually confusing than qq(), though.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk