On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 02:08:01PM -0600, Garrett Goebel wrote:
> Discussion of RFC 271 and 194 on pre and post handlers for subroutines
> reminded me of Larry's desire for Perl 6 to support the coexistance of
> different versions of modules.
>
> Besides http://dev.perl.org/rfc/78.pod, are there any RFC's which directly
> or indirectly relate to this?

This sort of came up during the CPAN sekret meeting at TPC last year.
Ziggy should have the details, but from what I remember we discussed
an idea to allow people and organizations to produce their own list of
approved modules.  For example, if Oracle had their own QA people
approve a set of modules and versions allowed for use in their
company.  These lists would be archived and made available just like
CPAN is now.  A subclass of the CPAN shell could be built allowing the
user to specify which organizations they trust and it would only pull
modules from there.

This isn't *quite* what most people are thinking of, and it in no way
addresses the problem of having multiple versions of the same module
installed on a given machine, but it does allow people to pick and
choose between implementations without fragmenting CPAN.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Only mindless violence can raise my spirits now!