On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 10:07:55PM +0100, Bart Lateur wrote:
> Uhm, I'm sorry, but that's not good enough. You cannot distinguish
> between Windows 95/98/ME on one side, and NT/2k on the other, using $^O
> alone. After all, $^O is just a constant burnt into the executable when
> perl was compiled. You can run the same perl.exe on all platforms, and
> indeed, most people do. Yet win9* and NT are different enough in
> behaviour (e.g. flock) to warrant a test on platform. Er... which is: no
> go.

Well, fork works on both now, but I see your point.  There are ways of
detecting the OS at run-time under Windows, mostly through MFC junk or
peeking in the registry.  It would probably be good to do it for the
MacOS versions, too.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
That which stirs me, stirs everything.