At 02:17 PM 2/5/2001 -0200, Branden wrote:
> > I think that, if you want this behavior, a module that implements it
> > would be just fine.  (Why muck with "use"?)  To use a module name
> > that seems like it could fit this purpose:
> >
> > use autoload { Bar => 'http://www.cpan.org/modules/Bar' },
> >              { Baz => 'ftp://my.local.domain/perl-modules/Baz', VERSION =>
>2 };
>
>Very good idea indeed!!! Append the wishlist to add this module to perl6's
>standard library!!!

Very *bad* idea. It sounds nice, but using a remote module without any sort
of control is just begging for trouble.

This would make your average unpatched Microsoft product look impregnably
secure by comparison, and I can guarantee you it'd be the first thing I'd
disable when building perl.

Besides, it's more than a little inefficient, requiring a module rebuild
every time you fetched it. Bletch. (And no, a local cache wouldn't make
things better. Faster, yes, but arguably even less secure, if that's possible)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk