On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 10:44:24AM -0800, Peter Scott wrote:

> Quite.  But on a tangent, I see no good reason why this shouldn't be given
> the same interpretation as "my ($a, $b, $c)" on the grounds that functions
> taking list arguments that omit their parentheses swallow up the following
> list.  And if the retort is, "my isn't a function," then I would like to
> know what it really is and why it's listed in perlfunc along with other
> things that aren't functions.

my is language construct. Just like if, while and return that can be
followed by parenthesis, but aren't functions.

> If that's not enough controversy I can also ask about things which are
> labelled as both functions and operators :-)

Functions and operators are the same. It's just that what is labelled
an operator usually takes a fixed number of arguments, often consists
of non-alphanumerical characters and unlike what's labelled a function,
is often not prefix. But that's only syntactic sugar (and vinegar due
to precedence tables).

Abigail