James Mastros wrote:

[..]

> f("+123,456")=123456
> f(f("+123,456))=123456
>
> The functon is not idempotent.  Even if you checked f(x)==x (function is the
> identity), an input of "123456" would work.

just a comment on this, we are talking about sorting which would generally
mean that the function would have to output a number, which would make the
behaviour of the functions much more maths-like. the above function would
probably not be used in a sort routine i think :)

I agree with john's later message that the real issue is the optimiser which
means that having to run the function is not really an option. so this thread
is kind of irrelevant :) (sorry)

peter