Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm actually considering whether we even need to care what the
> programmer's said. If we can just flat-out say "We may optimize your
> sort function, and we make no guarantees as to the number of times tied
> data is fetched or subs inside the sort sub are called" then life
> becomes much easier.

I am strongly in favor of that approach.  I see no reason to allow for
weird side effects in Perl 6.  (Perl 5 would be a different matter, of
course.)

Not only is it simpler to deal with, it's simpler to *explain*, and that's
important.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>