At 09:48 AM 4/9/2001 -0700, Peter Scott wrote:

>>>But by the time people learned to use '-6' we'd have Perl 7 out.
>>
>>I'm still trying to figure out why the flag needs to change. What's wrong
>>with -e? It seems perfectly serviceable.
>
>Because Larry said that by default Perl 6 would assume that its input was
>in Perl 5...?  So we need a way to tell it that it isn't.

Why? Perl is perl. Version 6 will have some of the bits twiddled some
relative to version 5, but I don't know that too many people feed
one-liners with globs in them to perl other than the odd JAPH. Things like

   perl -i.bak -pe "s/foo/bar/"

will work in perl 6 just as well as in perl 5.

Larry's tweaking the language some, not switching to Python... ;)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk