At 01:46 PM 4/10/2001 +0200, Trond Michelsen wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 10:03:31AM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > While I don't know if Larry will mandate it, I would like this code:
> >    open PAGE, "http://www.perl.org";
> >    while (<PAGE>) {
> >          print $_;
> >    }
> > to dump the HTML for the main page of www.perl.org to get dumped to stdout.
>
>Well, this seems innocent enough, but how far do you want to stretch it?
>
>Should this work?
>  use lib "http://my.site.org/lib";
>
>If not; why? (except security issues)

There isn't really a good reason, outside of security, to not do this,
though we may potentially be too early on in the load process to handle
magic filenames. (Should we allow C<do "cat mylib.pl|">?)

>what about
>  if (-r "http://www.perl.com/") {...}
>or
>  if (-M "http://www.perl.com/" < -M "http://www.python.org/") {...}

Nope. Doesn't work with other magic filenames, why should it with these?

>should
>  opendir (FTP, "ftp://sunsite.uio.no/");
>work as expected?

I'd say so, yes.

>Should URLs behave as much like regular files/directories as possible,
>or should they be limited to a small set of operations (like open()).

I'd personally restrict them the same way we restrict other magic filenames.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk