Nathan Wiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>    - C compatibility. One of Perl's great strengths
>      over other HLL's is C compatibility. Though
>      this is still arguably not as good as it can be,
>      why distance ourselves from the language we're
>      trying to interact with?

You're thinking of objects as references and references as akin to
pointers, which makes sense because that's how they're implemented in Perl
5.  If you think of objects as their own entities, however, or think of
references as something other than pointers (in particular, something that
doesn't require explicit dereferencing), then using . to access object
members is entirely compatible with C.

I tried to make this point before, but I don't think people understood
what I was getting at.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>