On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 12:32:40PM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
: Edward Peschko writes:
: : > : (is a nice city in Italy with a great symbol, the tower of Pisa).
: : > :
: : > : a    'P'  at the beginning, which means  'Perl',
: : > : an   'I'  which may mean                 'Interpreter',
: : > : a    'S'  which may means                'Six'
: : > : an   'A'  which may means                'Alpha'
: : >
: : > I suggest [1]Peterbilt.  </thread>
: :
: : Why not parrot, again?
:
: Too many dead parrot jokes?  Too many lousy acronyms?

Indeed.

:     Platform-Agnostic Rabidly Rapid Object Thrasher
:
: Urque.
:
: Since it's something underlying Perl, I'd suggest a decrement of
: "Perl", which would of course be "Perk".  The Java engine would have
: to be "Perj", I guess, which seems fitting somehow.  The C# engine might
: be "Peri" because it's around whether you like it or not.
:
: Then Perl language variants could go the other way and be:
:
: [snipped variations]
:
: 'Course, at that rate, we eventually get back to "Pisa"...
:
: Appearances notwithstanding, I am seriously suggesting "Perk".  The name
: is, er, perky.  Hopefully the implementation would be too.

I agree.  There are "perks" to building Perl 6, etc.

"Think happy thoughts Peter"

  Casey West

--
"In case of fire, do your utmost to alarm the hotel porter."
 --In a Vienna hotel