I will read replies, and respond to off list emails,
but I will refrain from posting to the list on this topic
for at least one week.

If you have nothing new to add, then please don't post.

Suggestion: pseudohash.

    %foo{Fred} = 'Bloggs';
    $bar = %bar[1];    # $bar is 'Bloggs'

Suggestion: deprecate %.

   {} and [] act as named and numbered indices.

   The benefit is saving % for alternative/future perl use.

   One cost is the strangeness of @foo being, effectively,
   two variables. I believe this is a strangeness that would
   quickly dissipate, but that's just a guess.

Suggestion: deprecate {}.

   The benefit is saving {} for alternative/future perl use,
   and the fact that beginners prefer [] as the subscript
   parens for both arrays and hashes by a more than 2
   to 1 margin.

   One cost is that:

       $foo[$bar]

   would be syntactically ambiguous. The compiler
   would know enough to deal, but humans would not.

Suggestion: deprecate both % and {}.

   Benefits are both of the above.

   Costs are numerous and deep.