# -----Original Message-----
# From: Michael G Schwern [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
# Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 4:35 PM
# To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
# Subject: Re: Expunge implicit @_ passing
#
# On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 10:47:35AM -0700, Damien Neil wrote:
# > On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 09:13:25AM -0400, Michael G Schwern wrote:
# > > As the pendulum swings in the other direction you get
# mind-bogglingly
# > > silly things like finalize which I just learned of today.
# >
# > What's so silly about finalize?
#
# Sorry, I ment "final".  final classes and methods.  The idea that you
# can prevent someone from subclassing your class or overriding your
# methods.  I've seen things that hinder reuse, but this is the first
# time I've seen one that violently blocks reuse!

On the other hand, it could stop some of the really stupid uses for
inheritance I've seen.  The dumbest one was in high school Advanced
Placement's C++ classes--the queue and stack classes inherited from the
array class!  (It was private inheritance, so you couldn't tell this
from the outside.)  This was one of the biggest kludges I've ever seen,
and a good example of a bad use of is-a.  It also meant that the class
was nearly impossible to modify for different storage--it was far easier
to just write a new class with the same interface.  Stupid, stupid,
stupid.

--Brent Dax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]