On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 16:30:08 +0200, raptor wrote:

>I was looking at TPJ one-liners and saw this :
>
>#32    A trick for indenting here strings
>
>($definition = <<'FINIS') =~ s/^\s+//gm;
>    The five varieties of camelids are the familliar
>    camel, his friends the llama and the alpaca, and
>    the rather less well-known guanaco and vicuna.
>FINIS
>
>Courtesy of The Perl Cookbook
>
>It is very cool if we have a way to set this RegEx so that it executes in
>compile time....

I can remember that an even smarter version of this was discussed in an
RFC -- I don't remember which -- so it's not unlikely that it will be
part of Perl6.

Besides, if this is a fixed string, you can rearrange your source code
so that it executes only once. It doesn't really matter then if this is
at compile time, or at run time.

--
        Bart.