On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 03:26:30PM -0500, Ted Ashton wrote:
:
:Thus it was written in the epistle of Michael G Schwern,
:> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 10:58:34PM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
:> > :     while( my $line = <FILE> ) {
:> > :         ...
:> > :     }
:> >
:> > That still works fine--it's just that $line lives on after the while.
:>
:> This creeping lexical leakage bothers me.  While it might make the
:> language simpler, the proliferation of left-over lexicals seems
:> sloppy.
:
:.. . . if not to say downright ugly.  The boolean of an if or a while is more a
:part of the "inner stuff" than the "outer".  What's the chance that it could
:be considered so?

So you're suggesting that we fake lexical scoping?  That sounds more
icky than sticking to true lexical scoping.  A block dictates scope,
not before and not after.  I don't see ickyness about making that so.

  Casey West

--
Shooting yourself in the foot with Modula-2
After realizing that you can't actually accomplish anything in this