On 4/16/02 12:27 PM, "Larry Wall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> claimed:

> You guys are thinking in terms of a single $obj.hash method.  I think
> there will be more than one hashish (er...) method available, and each
> hash will be able to choose at least whether it wants to hash by $obj._
> (the default), by $obj.hash (mutable), or by $obj.id (immutable).  The
> hash function is not sufficient in cases of hash collision, so you also
> need to think in terms of multiple comparison methods.

Wow, that will be pretty cool, I think.

> Since these are just properties of the hash, the hash could even have
> properties containing closures that define the hash and/or comparison
> functions.  These properties can force the issue, regardless of whether
> the object in question cooperates.  So you could hash objects on any
> attribute or combination of attributes, for instance.

Yes, this sounds ideal to me.

> But the default is gonna look a lot like Perl 5.

That's certainly good enough for me!

Regards,

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                               Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]