On 6/4/02 8:13 AM, "Simon Cozens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> claimed:

> Yes, there's a lot of legacy crap out there. Much of the important parts of it
> are XS, which we can't hope to support. (No, Dan, be realistic) So, let's go
> through the CPAN argument:

<snip />

Personally, I'm still really jazzed about Perl 6, but I certainly see your
point, Simon. As a CPAN contributor myself, I intend, once Perl 6 is
delivered, to port my modules to Perl 6 (where appropriate -- Data::Types
likely won't even be necessary anymore!), and leave the Perl 5 stuff to
slowly die off.

I think that if we can agree to forego backwards compatibility, we might
also be in a better position to set up a CP6AN with much better quality
control. All of the most important modules will be ported very quickly
(e.g., the DBI), and a lot of the cruft will be left to die (at least from
the Perl 6 perspective). And I like the idea that the designers mentioned on
Use Perl the other day, that Perl 6 may not ship with any add-ons, and there
would instead be development kits available. This will have the affect of
establishing n packages that are officially endorsed by the
planners/maintainers, but don't burden the distribution.

So I guess I'm agreeing with you, Simon. I have no problem with thinking of
Perl 6 as a completely new language, and will be happy to work in both P5
and P6 in parallel for a while. And if my Perl 5 modules don't work in Perl
6, I will be motivated to port them.

Plenty of folks are still dedicated to Perl 5, and it will likely to
continue moving forward for some time -- it may never die. And I think
that's true regardless of whether Perl 6 supports Perl 5 or not. So it's
okay by me to dump it. Lots of people will freak out, but many won't.

Regards,

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                               Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]