[For those of you coming in late, here's the relevent thread from
 perl6-language
 http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg10024.html
]

Some of you may or may not be aware that I hate waiting, especially when
it's about good ideas for Perl 6.  Some of you may also be aware of the
CPANPLUS project to reimplement the CPAN shell:
http://cpanplus.sourceforge.net/

What you may not know is that CPANPLUS includes the ability to have
*multiple shell frontends*.  http://cpanplus.sourceforge.net/backend.html
Currently there's plans for two.  One mimicing the classic CPAN shell and a
new one the CPANPLUS folks are developing in their own image (the default).

Now, none of the suggestions I've seen so far in the 6PAN shell interface
thread are particularly radical and don't need to wait for Perl 6 or 6PAN.
So rather than just talking about it, DO IT!  Implement your 6PAN shell
ideas as CPANPLUS frontends.  Write an apt-get or dselect style interface to
CPAN.  Write a CPAN shell that doesn't need initial, manual configuration.
Write a pointy-clicky GUI frontend.  Experiment!

Code speaks louder than mailing list threads. :)

--
This sig file temporarily out of order.