At 12:55 AM -0400 6/5/02, Josh Wilmes wrote:
>Good stuff.  Sounds halfway between CPAN.pm and activestate's ppm.  See
>also debian's apt-get.
>
>Which brings me to my pet peeve-  I think it's time to start doing binary
>packaging in CPAN, for those who don't want to bother with compilation.
>
>That has interesting implications for how we deal with paths, but still, I
>think it's worthwhile.

The biggest issues with binaries are relocatability (which is a
problem on some OSes), build options, compiler compatibility, and
size.

Size is the biggest obvious problem--there are a lot of modules with
C code, and object code is generally larger than the C it came from,
often by an order of magnitude or two. Multiply that by the potential
number of OS/compiler/perl build options and you get a number
that's.... rather large.

The rest are just complicated icing on the cake.
--
                                         Dan

Perl class: stemsystems.com/class     teddy bears get drunk